Is it Worth Suing Someone With no Money?

September 15, 2019

When someone injures you due to their negligence, you have a legal right to claim compensation from them for all of your related financial losses and things like pain and suffering. However, what if they have no money, is it worth suing them?

The answer is maybe. For some people, it might be worth it to get some sort of justice even if they aren’t going to collect any money. Also, it might be worth getting a judgment against them in case they every come into some money—inheritance, lottery etc.—then you can go back to court and get an enforcement of your judgment.

However, in most personal injury cases, the at-fault person’s insurance will pay for the damages. Most people don’t have enough money to pay for the damages in a personal injury suit, so they get insurance—not to mention that in Washington state it’s also the law.

What if they Don’t Have Insurance?

If the at-fault driver doesn’t have auto insurance and has no money, then all might not be lost. If you have your own auto insurance, then you might be able to collect under your own policy. It will depend on whether you have certain provisions on your auto insurance policy.

  • Medpay: This is a provision that drivers can get on their own policy that will pay for medical bills regardless of who is at fault or who is injured so long as the insured or their vehicle is involved.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP): This works similar to medpay, but it pays medical bills and other damages like pain and suffering and loss of wages. It also pays out regardless of who was injured or at fault so long at the insured or their vehicle is involved.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured (UM/UIM): Most insurance policies have uninsured/underinsured provisions that will pay those covered by the policy for all personal injury damages if the other driver is underinsured or has no insurance. This can include when a hit-and-run driver is never found, so long as they were at fault in the accident.

In Washington state, insurance companies are required to offer UM/UIM, but it’s not mandatory that drivers get this coverage. State law does require all drivers to get an insurance policy that will pay $25,000 for a bodily injury claim and $50,000 maximum for each accident as well as $10,000 in property damage.

Contact a Spokane Auto Accident Lawyer:

Always contact a local lawyer after any accident resulting in a serious injury.

The attorneys at Crary, Clark, Domanico, & Chuang, P.S. serve clients in Spokane, Washington, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, and surrounding communities. Contact us today for a free consultation and case evaluation. We will only offer you legal advice which is in your best interest.

Related Articles

Get in Touch with Us
Discuss your case with an expert
*We will get in touch once we review your submission.