When you’re at an intersection in Spokane Valley, there’s likely clear marking on the road and around the area denoting a crosswalk. This is to alert both drivers and pedestrians of the relative safety of crossing the street in these areas. Unfortunately, though, not every driver reacts the way they should.
A man was taken to the hospital with injuries after he was hit by a driver in a pickup truck at a crosswalk near Mission Avenue and Bowman Road in Spokane Valley on Monday, September 18, 2023. According to a report from KHQ, the man was legally crossing the intersection when the driver of the pickup truck, a 20-year-old man, stopped at the intersection. However, investigators with the Spokane Valley Sheriff’s Department say the man accelerated and hit the man in the crosswalk before stopping and reporting the incident. The driver of the pickup truck says that the man in the crosswalk was brandishing a caulk gun, which caused him to step on the gas.
Authorities later received witness reports saying that the driver of the pickup truck was driving recklessly prior to stopping at the crosswalk, reaching speeds of nearly 70 miles per hour. He was later arrested for assault and hit-and-run causing injury and booked in Spokane County Jail.
Causes of Intersection Accidents in Spokane Valley
What the above story shows is that, even in situations where a vehicle sees you in a crosswalk, it can still result in an accident. This is because you, as a pedestrian, have little to no control over the actions of drivers. While the case above shows intent and recklessness, there are a number of other underlying causes of intersection accidents in Spokane Valley:
- Distracted driving, such as texting while driving.
- Failing to yield to pedestrians at a crosswalk.
- Neglecting to check both ways before making turns at intersections.
- Reckless or excessive speeding, making it difficult to stop in time.
- Disregarding posted speed limits.
- Driving while drunk or on drugs.
- Design flaws in intersection layouts, including inadequate consideration of traffic flow.
Moreover, more populated areas of Spokane Valley witness a higher frequency of intersection accidents compared to rural regions due to denser populations and increased accessibility of stores and restaurants by walking. However, rural areas also experience their share of intersection accidents, often attributed to higher traffic speeds and reduced visibility. Ultimately, these accidents can result in a range of injuries, like:
- Fractures and broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal injuries
- Skin injuries like road burns
- Bruises, scrapes, and sprains
These injuries can be quite severe, demanding comprehensive medical treatment. It’s crucial to stay current with your necessary medical care and associated expenses to better understand the extent of your losses. This documentation not only records your injuries but also any possible complications, which can be included in your recovery process.
Work With Experienced Spokane Valley Personal Injury Lawyers
Being injured is never ideal, but it’s even more frustrating when you’re simply trying to cross the street in Spokane Valley. Thankfully, our team of experienced pedestrian accident lawyers can help you with a claim for damages after these accidents. Generally, you can recover the following:
- Medical bills related to the accident.
- Expenses linked to scarring or disfigurement.
- Lost income due to time off work.
- Potential loss of future earnings if your injuries are permanent.
- Costs related to vehicle or property damage.
- Pain and suffering endured.
- Psychological trauma arising from the accident.
- Diminished quality of life.
Since 1948, our Spokane Valley personal injury lawyers at CCD Law have been helping clients through this challenging situation. We’ll make sure you get the treatment and support you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.