Coeur d’Alene’s beautiful shorelines and mountain air combine for a true paradise for Motorcycle Riders. Whether you like the lakeside drives or the challenge of a mountain pass, Kootenai County offers it all.
The amazing natural splendor here in Coeur d’Alene means you’ll rarely have the roads to yourself though. You’ll always be sharing the lanes with locals and tourists in cars, trucks, and SUVs. All that traffic, unfortunately, means an increased risk of a scary encounter with a distracted driver.
Help for Coeur d’Alene Motorcycle Accident Victims
Motorcyclists are vulnerable when they ride alongside vehicles much bigger than their bikes, and they are also vulnerable after an accident when trying to get insurance companies to fairly compensate them. Insurance adjusters have been known to be especially unfair to motorcyclists in the wake of an accident, even when the blame clearly rests on their policyholders.
If you were a victim of a careless driver, contact a local attorney with CCD Law. We support and protect injured motorcyclists in Post Falls, Coeur d’Alene, and surrounded areas. Don’t allow insurance agents to dismiss or ignore your injuries. Allow us to handle your case and work to win the most compensation possible for your injuries. You didn’t cause your crash and you shouldn’t face the consequences from it alone.
Dangers for Motorcyclists in Coeur d’Alene
You’d think that the backdrop of mountains and lakes would make motorists relax, slow down and take it all in, but unfortunately, people still speed along the streets and across Interstate 90. Distracted drivers present another scary obstacle to riders as motorists who may be speeding may also be looking at their phones at the same time. These careless drivers may be in the rider’s lane and closing in before you even have time to react
The Idaho Transporation Department sees the mistakes and their tragic outcomes each year. They reported that in 2017 the state saw 507 motorcycle crashes. 139 of the victims involved suffered what were thought to be serious injuries. Another 26 Idaho motorcyclists tragically lost their lives.
Common Traffic Hazards for Motorcyclists
The threat from other drivers on the road often boils down to visibility. Either the motorist couldn’t see the smaller motorcycles traveling nearby, or they simply didn’t bother to look properly. The result is the same. Drivers make a move they aren’t clear to make, forcing the rider into an unavoidable collision.
The results can be devastating as riders often must absorb several impacts before they come to a stop. What makes these accidents even more tragic is that the situations that cause these them are generally predictable. Here are a few of the most common contributors:
- Accidents at Intersections – Intersections are among the most dangerous locations for motorcycle accidents. Distracted drivers from all directions can easily miss a motorcycle in their path.
- Nighttime Driving – Motorcycles are the most vulnerable at night. Not only do they have a low profile, but drivers who aren’t paying attention might not see a motorcycle until it is too late.
- Vehicle Turning Left – Driver making a left-hand turn across on-coming traffic can completely miss spotting an oncoming motorcycle. The turn begins right in front of the rider, leaving the rider with little chance to swerve or stop in time.
- Unsafe Lane Changes – Checking mirrors and blind spots could keep motorists from veering or merging into the motorcycle beside them.
- Rearend Collisions – Drivers claim it’s hard to spot motorcyclists, but they have even claimed to miss a rider right in front of them. They may be following a motorcycle too closely and not be able to stop in time at a traffic light.
- Lane Splitting – The term for a rider traveling between two lanes of slowly moving traffic or traffic at a halt. This maneuver isn’t legal in Idaho, but it still happens, and motorists are still required to give a proper check as they switch lanes to avoid hitting a rider.
- Dooring – People in parked cars and can fail to see anyone else around, pop their door open, creating a dangerous obstacle to an approaching motorcyclist.
- T-Bone – Broadside or “T-Bone” accidents are among the most dangerous for motorcycle riders. This occurs when a car’s front-end strikes the side of a motorcycle rider.
Legal Options for Motorcycle Accident Victims
If a driver’s error on the road landed you in the hospital, filing a claim for damages against his or her insurance may be the only way to fully protect your physical and financial well-being.
A normal claim may pay some of the hospital bills you currently owe, but what about the future? You might still be having difficulties a year from now and require another surgery. You might miss months of work due to your injuries.
A civil lawsuit can ask that these potential hardships be considered and compensated. Here are just a few other factors that may be part of an award your claim earns in settlement or a court verdict:
- Medical Bills (Past and Future)
- Skin Grafts
- Medical Equipment
- Damage to motorcycle repaired or money for a new motorcycle
- Travel Costs
- Paychecks lost at work
- Permanent Disability and permanent disfigurement
- Loss of Quality of Life
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish/PTSD
Contact a Coeur d’Alene Motorcycle Accident Attorney
In Idaho, personal injury victims have up to two years to file a claim for damages. At CCD Law we suggest moving this civil lawsuit forward as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the harder it will be for you or your attorney to uncover evidence and gather documents you’ll need to strengthen your case.
Established in Spokane in 1948, Crary, Clark, Domanico, & Chuang, P.S. is licensed and practices in both Washington and Idaho. We are committed to providing our clients with the absolute highest quality legal representation. If our Coeur d’Alene Motorcycle Accident Lawyers represent you for your accident case, you have our assurance that we will use our absolute best efforts to win your case. Contact us after any accident resulting in a serious injury for a free, confidential consultation and case evaluation. We will only offer you advice which is in your best interest.