Cheney isn’t a big place but there are plenty of cool spots to walk to and from. Students may want to walk from Eastern Washington University into downtown. Joggers may want to loop around the quaint neighborhoods.
Even in a small, peaceful town like Cheney going anywhere on foot can prove dangerous when fast-moving traffic looms nearby. Distracted drivers can be looking at the yards and shops rolling by and forget to check each crosswalk for a pedestrian. A frightening accident can result from that inattention.
If you are hit by a careless driver and suffer a serious injury talk to a Cheney Pedestrian Accident Attorney with CCD Law. Just because a driver’s carelessness caused your accident doesn’t guarantee that their insurance company will provide you with fair compensation for your injury. You may get stuck paying for your medical bills and trying to make up lost time at work on your own. Contact us to make sure your rights are protected.
Pedestrian Accident Dangers in Cheney
Pedestrians can be so vulnerable when they must confront traffic to cross a street. They travel without protection from the two-ton vehicles that don’t seem to bother slowing down when someone on foot is nearby. A driver has thick metal and airbags protecting them in a collision while a pedestrian may have nothing more than the clothes on their back.
A distracted driver can get a text and suddenly be staring at their cellphone. During that time, they are essentially driving blind. DriveDifferent.com found that it takes your brain up to 13 seconds to refocus on your surroundings after looking at a phone screen. They also report that there an estimated one thousand people injured across the country every day due to distracted driving accidents.
If you are struck as a pedestrian the consequences can be life-altering and injuries can even take you off your feet and leave you unable to walk for weeks, months, or years.
What to do after a Pedestrian Accident
The minutes after an accident can be the most difficult for victims. They may be in pain and in shock. Unfortunately, this is the best time to gather the evidence you’ll need to prove that you weren’t at fault.
If you are physically strong enough, it’s important to gather details on the scene. If you need medical attention ask someone with you or a witness to start this process:
- Call 911. Give a full report to paramedics and investigating officers.
- Take photos and video with your phone. Document the scene, the car that hit you, and street signs. Take shots of any injuries that are visible and any damage to clothing.
- Talk to any witnesses. Get their contact information. See if they’ll write a signed statement or see if they’ll record what they saw by making a statement on video.
- Exchange information with the driver but don’t make any statements about the accident. If you say you’ll be alright, insurance companies can use this later to try to prove that you weren’t injured at all.
- Make an appointment with your own doctor. Get every injury that’s appeared in the days after the accident documented.
- Don’t get rid of evidence. Keep any damaged clothing and personal items.
Contact a Cheney Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If our Cheney Pedestrian Accident Lawyers represent you for your accident case, you have our assurance that we will use our absolute best efforts to ensure that you don’t face the costs of your recovery alone. A careless driver caused your tragic accident and his or her insurance company should be on the hook for all of your expenses and hardships. Contact us after any accident resulting in a serious injury for a free, confidential consultation and case evaluation. We will only offer you advice that is in your best interest.