Head-on accidents are usually the most devastating in terms of injuries and damages for both drivers and passengers. There are a variety of reasons for this, but chief among them is the placement of the actual collision and the combined force of the impact. Often, head-on accidents cause serious injuries and, unfortunately, death in some cases.
Person Killed in Head-on Accident at East Alki Way and Broadway Avenue
A person was killed and two others were critically injured after a head-on accident at East Alki Way and Broadway Avenue in Spokane Valley, according to a report from KREM. The accident, which occurred late on the night of Tuesday, April 4, 2023, involved a white sedan that was heading westbound on Broadway Avenue at extremely high speed. The driver of the sedan lost control of the vehicle and collided head-on with a pickup truck.
One person in the sedan was killed, and two others were critically injured in the crash. The driver of the pickup truck was able to walk away with minor injuries, except for significant damage to the front of the truck.
The Spokane Police Department (SPD) is still investigating the accident, which closed that area of the road for several hours.
Common Causes and Injuries in Spokane Valley Head-On Accidents
In head-on accidents similar to the one above, it demonstrates just how dangerous they can be. Spokane Valley has numerous areas where these accidents can take place, but looking at the causes and typical injuries shows how dangerous head-on accidents can be. These accidents usually involve the following:
- Distracted driving – Drivers who are distracted by their phones, GPS devices, or other distractions can easily drift into oncoming traffic and cause a head-on collision.
- Impaired driving – Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol are more likely to drive erratically and lose control of their vehicles, increasing the risk of a head-on collision.
- Speeding – When drivers are traveling at high speeds, they may not have enough time to react to oncoming traffic, increasing the risk of a head-on collision.
- Reckless driving – Drivers who are weaving in and out of traffic or passing illegally are more likely to cause a head-on collision.
- Poor weather and road conditions – When roads are wet, icy, or slippery, drivers may lose control of their vehicles and collide with oncoming traffic.
Obviously, the distinguishing factor for many head-on accidents is the severity of the injuries they cause. Typically, these include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) – When the head collides with a hard surface, it can result in a TBI, which can cause permanent brain damage, memory loss, and other cognitive impairments.
- Spinal cord injuries – The force of a head-on collision can cause the spine to twist or snap, resulting in a spinal cord injury that can cause paralysis or other disabilities.
- Broken bones – The impact of a head-on collision can cause bones to fracture or break, resulting in significant pain, disability, and a long recovery period.
- Internal injuries – The force of a head-on collision can cause internal organs to rupture or bleed, which can be life-threatening if not treated promptly.
- Whiplash – When the head is jolted forward and then backward in a collision, it can result in whiplash, a painful condition that can cause neck pain, headaches, and other symptoms.
It’s worth mentioning that, in many head-on accidents, victims will suffer multiple injuries. Worse yet, in many accidents, these injuries are so severe that they turn fatal. When that happens, our team of experienced Spokane Valley car accident lawyers can help.
Experienced and Compassionate Legal Support From Spokane Valley Car Accident Lawyers
Being in a head-on car accident is always a scary prospect, usually leaving you and your loved ones with significant injuries and damage to your vehicle. In the worse case, these accidents can be fatal. When you or a loved one are involved in one of these devastating accidents as the result of another driver’s negligence, we can help you hold them accountable.
At Crary, Clark, Domanico, & Chuang, P.S., we are committed to providing our clients with the absolute highest quality legal representation. We represent clients in car accident cases throughout Spokane Valley and can make sure that you receive the benefits and support you need under the law. Contact us today for a free initial consultation and case evaluation to learn more.