How Long do I Have to Register Out-of-State Vehicle After Moving to Washington State?

September 10, 2019

If you recently moved to Spokane from out of state, you have 30 days to register your vehicle and get your state drivers license. If you don’t, you could be facing a fine of over $1,500 and up to a year in jail.

Under a new law that went into effect June 28, 2019, the fine and jail time will be waived if the state resident get the car registered in the state within 90 days and pays a $500 fine. If the vehicle is not registered within the grace period after the person received the ticket, then the full $1,529 will have to be paid.

If the person receives a second offense, then there is no waiver of the fine, and the full $1,529 will have to be paid and the judge will consider whether the person will serve any of the year in jail.

Cost of Registering the New Vehicle

When you move into Spokane City from out of state, within 30 days to register your vehicles. The Costs break down like this:

  • First-Time Registration                $15.00
  • Renewal Registration                   $30.00
  • Vehicle Weight                             $25.00
  • Registration Filing                          $3.00
  • Registration Fee                             $5.00
  • License Plate Technology                 $.25
  • Dept of Licensing Service                 $.50
  • TBD Spokane                                 $20.00
  • Total                                              $83.75

TBD is a fee that goes to Spokane’s Transportation Benefit District.

At the time of vehicle registration for first time registration, the newcomer will have to pay a 6.5 percent tax on the value of the vehicle. This is also required each time the registration is renewed.

Contact a Spokane Traffic Law Attorney

At Crary, Clark, Domanico, & Chuang, P.S., we serve clients in Spokane, Washington, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, and surrounding communities. If you have received a ticket for failing to register your vehicle in Washington State—or any traffic or criminal violation—we can help.  Call us today at (509) 926-4900, or send us a message.

Related Articles

Get in Touch with Us
Discuss your case with an expert
*We will get in touch once we review your submission.