Any head-on collision is going to result in significant injuries and damage. Unfortunately, these accidents are well-known for causing fatal injuries. When you add a semi-truck to the equation, it becomes all the more dangerous.
A 52-year-old man was killed on Wednesday, January 24, 2024 when a semi-truck crossed the center line and collided head-on with his Acura, this according to a story from KREM. The Spokane County Sheriff’s Department (SCSD) is investigating the accident, which occurred on Bigelow Gulch Road in Spokane. Initial reports say the semi-truck, which had a driver and a passenger, was speeding when it crossed the center line and collided with the man driving the Acura.
There were three passengers in the Acura, all of whom also suffered life-threatening injuries. All three were taken to a local hospital, where the 52-year-old man later died of his injuries. The driver and passenger in the semi-truck were also injured and transported to the hospital.
SCSD investigators say the semi-truck’s speed and the prevailing weather conditions factored into the accident, which closed that section of Bigelow Gulch for several hours.
What Kind of Injuries Can Happen in These Accidents?
Being in a head-on collision type accident in Spokane is far from ideal, but even more so if it involves a semi-truck. At the same time, spending any amount of time on the road means interacting with these vehicles. And this, unfortunately, is probably going to result in extensive injuries for you and your passengers. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, here’s what you can expect in terms of harm:
- Head and brain injuries – Truck accidents often result in traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), varying from mild concussions to severe damage affecting cognition, emotions, and physical abilities.
- Spinal cord damage – Truck accidents may lead to spinal cord injuries, causing paralysis, loss of sensation, and chronic pain, significantly impacting your quality of life.
- Internal injuries – Truck accidents may result in internal injuries like bleeding, organ damage, or collapsed lungs, which can be life-threatening and need immediate medical attention.
- Broken bones – Common injuries include broken bones, ranging from minor fractures to severe breaks requiring surgery and a lengthy recovery.
- Burns – Truck accidents can cause burns, varying from minor to severe, leading to scarring, disfigurement, and emotional trauma due to fire, hot liquids, or chemicals.
- Soft tissue damage – Whiplash and strains are typical soft tissue injuries in truck accidents, causing significant pain and discomfort, often requiring physical therapy or chiropractic treatment.
Again, what’s important to understand is that because a semi-truck is so much larger and heavier than your car, it’s going to compound the impact and force of the collision. When you consider this happening in a head-on collision, which is already dangerous, it’s easy to see why these accidents are so devastating. That makes the legal process very important for addressing your damages.
Get Help With Semi-Truck Accidents with CCD Law
When you’re injured in a truck accident in Spokane, you can rely on the experienced team of truck accident lawyers at CCD Law. Our team can help figure out liability for the accident and guide you on pursuing benefits under Washington law, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Expenses related to a loved one’s death
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries or a fatal accident involving a truck, contact us today to set up a free consultation to learn more about your options.