Serving Spokane Since 1948

Washington state is not a no-fault state. This means that when there is an accident, the person who was at-fault will pay for the injuries and other damages that came from the accident. A no-fault state is one that requires its drivers to purchase an insurance policy that pays out regardless of who’s at fault.

It works like this: After an accident, instead of making a claim against the driver who cause the accident, the injured person would make a claim against their own insurance policy which has to pay regardless of fault. This takes out the need to go to court over determining who’s at fault.

However, in most of the no-fault states, there is a cap on these policies which is usually $10,000. This means that anytime the damages goes over $10,000, then the issue of fault will still be significant as the at-fault driver will have to pay for those uncovered losses.

Personal Injury Protection and Medpay

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Medpay are no-fault insurance policies that a driver can add to their insurance that will pay regardless of fault. In no-fault states, the legislature typically passes a law that requires each motorist to get a PIP policy. The insurance policy will also have traditional coverage provisions that will cover those amounts over $10,000.

Medpay is similar to PIP but will only pay for medical bills related to the accident. It is also an add-on provision like PIP.

PIP and Medpay in Washington State

Washington state does not require its drivers to have medpay or PIP, but it does require the insurance company to offer PIP coverage. The driver has the option to carry PIP or medpay or even both. The advantage to having both is that medpay will immediately cover medical bills and can count against your deductible and/or pay for any co-pays. Some Insurance companies won’t offer both medpay and PIP on the same policy, so talk to your insurance carrier to determine this for you.

Contact a Spokane Auto Insurance Lawyer

If you’ve been injured by someone else’s negligence, you should at least talk to an attorney who can advise you of your rights and can inform you of the insurance coverage available to you. At  Crary, Clark, Domanico, & Chuang, P.S., we offer a free consultation so you can make an informed decision.

We are still open. We are also available for remote consultations and document signing.Read more.