How Do I Get My License Back After a DUI in Spokane County or the State of Washington?

January 9, 2019
After being arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) or driving under the influence of marijuana or any other drug (DUID), it’s likely that there will be both legal and administrative repercussions. The legal repercussions will be in the form of the harsh sentence that you receive if you’re convicted. The administrative repercussions will come from the Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) in the form of a driver’s license suspension. That suspension could be as short as 90 days and as long as four years.

Dean Chuang is a highly rated Spokane DUI Lawyer. If you ave been charged with DUI anywhere in the area, contact him today for a consultation.

Delaying a Possible Suspension
The only way that you might be able to put off the DOL license suspension is to request a hearing on it. You must do that in writing within seven days of the date of your arrest. A $375 hearing fee will be due along with a completed standard request form. That might operate to delay any suspension that could be forthcoming until such time as the DUI or DUID case against you is adjudicated.Notice of Suspension
Any notice that you might receive from the DOL will inform you of the date that your suspension becomes effective. You are prohibited from driving after that date without an ignition interlock device. In the interim between receiving your notice of suspension, there are two things that you need to do. You must arrange to get an ignition interlock system on your vehicle and get an interlock ignition driver’s license. That’s the only way that that you will be able to legally drive. The good news about that is that you can drive at all times of the day on any legal routes.

Getting Reinstated
Reinstating your driver’s license is one of the easiest and least expensive endeavors in the post-DUI or DUID conviction process. Simply go to the DOL, have all necessary documentation ready and submit your application. The reinstatement application is $150, and the license issuance fee is $54. In some cases, the DOL will want proof that you’ve complied with your sentencing order along with proof of insurance and a completed SR-22 form from your insurance company. The DOL might even want proof of legal residency or citizenship. Have documentation of those in case they’re needed. You might need to provide SR-22 documentation every year for the next three years. You might even want to go to the DOL before your suspension is up to make sure of exactly what you need when you apply for reinstatement.

What you’ve been going through is enough to make you not want to drive drunk, high or both again. If you don’t know whether you have all necessary reinstatement documentation, or you’re not sure when you can be reinstated, contact us. We can arrange for a consultation to answer your questions.

Related Articles

Get in Touch with Us
Discuss your case with an expert
*We will get in touch once we review your submission.