Canadian Woman Airlifted to Hospital after Crash near Bonners Ferry

October 2, 2019

A woman visiting from Canada was injured in a crash Tuesday night on Highway 95 north of Bonners Ferry. The accident happened around 6:15 p.m. when  the driver of a Ford F-250 pickup when he veered across the centerline to avoid another vehicle. His truck slid sideways into a Honda HRV.

Police say that a Canadian woman was driving the Honda and was taken to Kootenai Health by air ambulance. The driver of the Ford and a passenger were not injured despite not wearing seatbelts. Police are still investigating the accident, but no charges are expected.

Can a foreigner File a Suit in Idaho?

When someone is visiting Idaho from another country and gets injured in an accident, they might be forced to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Idaho law allows anyone injured in their state to file a lawsuit against someone in their state even if they are not a U.S. citizen or live in the U.S. In this case, they may or may not use an Ontario car accident attorney.

The reason this is possible is that Idaho has personal jurisdiction over their state residents, and the law allows anyone who is harmed by an Idaho resident to sue them in state court.

Is a Lawsuit Necessary?

The truth is, in most cases, the injured person or their attorney can settle with the insurance company for the at-fault driver. In those rare cases that don’t settle, the injured person can file a lawsuit and make a personal injury claim.

Even when a suit is filed, there are many chances to settle, and an experienced attorney can use the prospect of a costly trial incentive to settle that case before the actual trial starts.

Is it Necessary to get an Attorney?

In many situations, an attorney may not be needed. However, when the injuries are severe or the issues complicated like a pedestrian hit-and-run, an attorney would be a wise choice.  If you were injured as a pedestrian in a hit-and-run, you need and attorney can who tell you the law and give you an assessment of your case. The attorneys at  Crary, Clark, Domanico, & Chuang, P.S., serve clients in Spokane, Washington, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, and surrounding communities. They can go toe-to-toe with the insurance companies and their lawyers to get you fair compensation for your injuries. Call them at (509) 926-4900, or send them a message by clicking here.

Related Articles

Get in Touch with Us
Discuss your case with an expert
*We will get in touch once we review your submission.