In Spokane, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the beautiful sights and weather by riding a bicycle. With numerous trails, roads, and routes available, it’s a fun and eco-friendly activity.
However, sharing the road with aggressive and careless drivers can be risky for bicyclists. Unfortunately, these factors can lead to various types of bicycle accidents in the region, some of which can be fatal for riders.
One such accident occurred just north of Spokane on State Route 206 on Thursday, July 20, 2023. According to a report from Big Country News, a 19-year-old male was killed when a dump truck collided with him. Washington State Patrol (WSP) responded to the call shortly after noon, initially treating the incident as a hit-and-run. Further investigation found that the man was traveling east on SR 206 when the dump truck turned right out of a private lot, colliding with the bicyclist on the passenger side of the truck and killing him.
WSP issued an alert for any information on a possible white dump truck with grey lettering. However, the driver of the dump truck returned to the scene shortly thereafter and cooperated with investigators. The driver of the dump truck was unhurt.
Are Right-Hook Bicycle Accidents Common in Spokane?
Accidents like the one above demonstrate just how dangerous it can be for bicyclists in Spokane. Not only are these accidents dangerous for bicyclists, but these types of accidents are so common that they are known as “right hook” accidents.
Generally speaking, a right-hook bicycle accident occurs when a driver turns right and collides with a bicyclist. The common causes are:
- Misjudging the bicyclist’s speed or distance, which leads to a collision when the vehicle slows to make the turn.
On top of instances like the accident above, right-hook bicycle accidents typically happen in the following ways in Spokane:
- The vehicle turns right and collides head-on with the bicyclist.
- The vehicle turns right, causing the bicyclist to collide with the side of the vehicle.
- The bicyclist passes a slow vehicle on the right, and the car turns right into them.
- Both the vehicle and bicyclist are waiting at a red light, and when the light changes to green, the driver turns right into the bicyclist.
These accidents can result in injuries, particularly because the bicycle offers less protection than a vehicle. In most cases, bicyclists can expect to suffer:
- Fractures of the skull
- Traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Fractured bones, particularly in the lower body
- Injuries to soft tissues and tears in ligaments
- Spinal injuries
- Abrasions, lacerations, and scrapes from road accidents
- Damage to internal organs
- Loss of life due to negligence or wrongful actions (wrongful death)
Experienced Spokane Bicycle Accident Lawyers
If you’ve experienced a right-hook bicycle accident in Spokane, you might find yourself feeling helpless and overwhelmed. Dealing with injuries can only add to the confusion and pain you’re going through, making it essential to seek assistance from experienced and dedicated Spokane bicycle accident lawyers.
At CCD Law, we possess the expertise to handle these types of claims effectively while providing the support and attention you and your claim deserve. We understand that being injured in a bicycle accident is far from an ideal scenario, but in such unfortunate situations, our team ensures that you and your family are taken care of.
Since 1948, we’ve helped clients in Spokane and elsewhere get the compensation they deserve. Contact us today to set up a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more.